Task 1: Communication methods/styles/justifications
- Communication is the “transmission of a message from a sender to a receiver in an understandable manner.” More so, communication is an important aspect of daily life so in order for other people to comprehend a particular message, effective communication must be practiced. To do so, four communication processes must be religiously followed. The communication starts with the sender encoding the message. This is the stage where the sender transforms the data into an understandable message by putting meaning into words, symbols and ideas.
- Following this would be the transmission of the message through different medium such as oral, written and visual channels. After the selection of medium is made, next would be the decoding of the message transmitted. The receivers of the message interpret the message according to their own knowledge and experiences about the subject matter. A successful exchange of information happens when “the receiver correctly interprets the sender’s message.”
- The last stage in the communication process is the feedback. This is the part wherein the receivers react to the message of the sender whether they understood it or not. All of these processes should be strictly adhered whenever communicating with someone to ensure that the message is correctly transmitted to its corresponding receivers (Sanchez, 2008, “Communication Process”).
- (i) A formal letter is needed in preparing an estimate or billing a customer because this type of communication media will include the cost of the resources or the amount due to a particular customer.
(ii). A letter of complaint is needed to formally and effectively communicate to a specific company about a complaint regarding poor service or quality of a product.
(iii). In situations such as the loss of a family member, a letter of condolence can be used to show or extend one’s sympathy for the grieving party.
(iv). A personal letter would be appropriate in congratulating someone with regards to his/her successful accomplishment. Through this, the sender can convey his/her personal sentiments about the receiver. Also, a personal call can be made to show a compliment or commendation to the receiver.
(v). A marketing letter is the proper communication medium for an advertisement job vacancy. In this medium, the sender can formally post the requirements needed for the job position.
(vi). When advertising a new product, a marketing letter is the best communication medium to inform customers about the features and new promos about the product.
(vii). A well-written termination letter should be composed when dismissing an employee for a poor performance. Through this medium, the professionalism and courtesy will be reflected to prevent hostility between the sender and the receiver.
(viii). In an urgent work-related message, a telephone call or an electronic message would be appropriate to get the fastest reply or respond from the receiver.
c. In the communication process, one may experience different obstructions in conveying a message. There are many factors that can hinder the proper flow of the communication process such as the use of unsuitable medium, derogatory words, wrong grammar, “technical jargon and noise.” Moreover, communication skills can be further developed if one would properly follow the communication process in order to achieve effective communication (Sanchez, 2008, “Communication Process”).
Sanchez, N. (2008). Communication Process. Retrieved August 11, 2008, from http://web.njit.edu/~lipuma/352comproc/comproc.htm
Task 2: Spelling Check
- The Local Counsel collects refuse from the houses in Beacon Road every Friday morning.
- I do not know the whether the weather will be fine or not next week when I am on holiday.
- Mustaffa and Zahida, two students on a degree course, were told their exam results would be displayed on the notice board at the end of the week. They waited until Friday to look at the notice board but when they got there they discovered that the results were still not there.
- The principal reason why the results were not on the notice board when they went to look was because the principal had announced they would not be displayed until 12:00 noon.
- Mohammed’s appetite for the delicious food his aunt had prepared was not affected despite the fact that he had eaten before he left home.
- The effects of the heat from the glaring sun and the rocking of the boat made Sam fell ill, as it drifted slowly out to sea. His head ached from falling down the steps into the cabin and his ribs felt tight and it hurt when he breathed because his fall had been broken by the corner of the table in the galley.
Task 3: Writing a marketing letter and leaflet
The Fallowfield Nurseries and Garden Centre will be hosting the Flowering Shrubs Week from 6th to 12th of September. In this event, we will be showcasing our wide array collection of exquisite herbaceous and bedding plants, and lovely bulbs and shrubs wherein visitors can enjoy by looking and even purchasing this diverse selection of plants. Aside from this, we also have a water garden section where guests can relax and relish the beauty of the water features.
There are also sheds and greenhouses which guests can explore as well as a bee house where one can see up-close honeybees at work. More so, we will also be putting up a gift shop with a wide range of homemade foodstuffs and handcrafted household and garden items so that guests can buy some trinkets as a remembrance of the event. Additionally, an assortment of tools, clothing and garden equipment will be available for those interested in gardening.
Moreover, Flowering Shrubs Week will be an enjoyable activity for the whole family and the community so bring your mother, father, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, neighbors and friends. To ensure that all of you will be having fun, we will be serving hot and cold organic snacks and beverages at the tea room for all our guests. For those who will bring toddlers, a safe and well-equipped children’s play area will be provided so that the adults can fully maximize all the fun-filled activities that we have laid out. But most importantly, we will be of offering a 20% discount for all of our items for the whole week so do not miss out this opportunity.
Please come to the Flowering Shrubs Week to enjoy seven days of stunning flowers and plants, good merchandises, accommodating service and warm company.
We hope to se you from September 6 to 12 and get a chance to win a collection of three shrubs of your choice.
If you know anyone else who would be interested in attending the Flowering Shrubs Week, please invite them.
For more questions, please contact us at this telephone number: 01948 736493 or fax number: 01948 733311. You could also visit us at our store. We are open at these following dates:
October 1 to March 31: Monday to Friday 09:00 to 18:00; Saturdays 09:00 to 19:00; Sundays 10:00 to 16:30.
April 1 to September 30: Monday to Friday 09:00 to 20:00; Saturdays 08:30 to 20:00; Sundays 10:00 to 16:30.
The store will be closed on Christmas Day and Sunday trading times will apply to Boxing Day and Easter Day.
Task 4: Letter of Complaint
I, John Doe Office Manger for Jackman Browne Solicitors, present my complaint to the recruitment manager of Forthrite Personnel Agency regarding Ms. Tracey Smith who you have supplied to our good office as the temporary secretary.
The person that you have hired to be part of our organization had not boosted the company’s productivity. In fact, she managed to perform unsatisfactorily in all her tasks.
Here is a list of Ms. Smith’s misconduct and misbehavior at Jackman Browne Solicitors:
- She was never prompt in coming to the office.
- She spend more than one hour on her lunch breaks.
- She frequently does not follow the standard work schedule of 9:30 to 5:30. She would either come to work late or go home early.
- She usually spends her day at the office putting on make-up and fixing her hair rather than doing her tasks as a secretary.
- Most of her finished paper works need to be rewritten or revised.
- She does not respect the confidential nature of her work.
Need essay sample on "Business Communications"? We will write a custom essay sample specifically for you for only $ 13.90/page
For years, we have been using the services of your company in filling out emergency positions but we seldom experienced problems prior to this incident. Unfortunately, based on our observations, we have noticed a significant deterioration in the recent services that we have acquired from your company.
Jackman Browne Solicitors takes pride of its employees. In order to keep up with this, we need your assurance that future designation of temporary staff will be thoroughly and properly implemented to eliminate the possibility of having an inefficient workforce. If you cannot meet our demands for a high-quality service, we will be forced to look elsewhere for our temporary staffing needs.
I hope Forthrite Personnel Agency can live up to its good image and highly-commended reputation.