1. Which of the following is true about basal metabolism?
It represents about 60 percent to 70 percent of total calories used by a sedentary person during each day.
2. Carol eats 800 kilocalories a day to lose weight. She is 40 years old. Carol has been walking briskly 60 minutes daily for the past 2 months. In her younger days she lifted weights, but she has lost considerable lean body mass over the years because of inactivity. Recently, Carol was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, which lowers metabolism. Which of the following factors increases Carol’s energy output and promotes weight loss?
Her walking routine
3. All of the following contribute to total energy expenditure except
energy content of food.
4. Bill expends 2,500 kilocalories per day. What amount of kilocalories will be from basal metabolism?
1,500 to 1,750
5. Bill consumes 2,500 kilocalories per day. What would be his energy expenditure, in kilocalories, from the thermic effect of food?
125 to 250
6. The method for determining energy expenditure in which the amount of oxygen a person uses is measured is called
7. Xenical is a weight_loss drug that works in the digestive system
to block digestion of about one_third of the fat in the food we eat.
8. Body weight in kilograms divided by height squared in meters yields
the body mass index.
9. For a woman who is 1.63 meters tall and weighs 72 kilograms, the body mass index would be
10. How would you interpret the body mass index for a woman who is 1.63 meters tall and weighs 72 kilograms?
She slightly exceeds the value at which health risks begin.
11. Which of the following is not a way to estimate body fat?
Body mass index
12. Which of the following testing methods is considered the most accurate way of measuring percent body fat?
13. Android obesity is associated with a higher incidence of all the following except
14. Which of the following is not true about android obesity?
A low waist_to_hip ratio is indicative of it.
15. All of the following statements about many popular diets are true except
they help people make permanent changes in eating habits.
16. Margaret’s parents are both obese. She has dieted six times, each time losing a considerable amount of weight and subsequently regaining it. Margaret has an aversion to exercise. Which of the following is true about Margaret’s situation?
When she ends the diet she regains additional body fat.
17. Orlistat (Xenical) is a medication approved by the FDA for weight loss that reduces fat
digestion by inhibiting lipase enzyme action in the small intestine.
18. Which of the following is not a major goal for weight control programs?
5_pound weight loss per week
19. A weight_loss program should have all of the following characteristics except
the plan should have a weight loss goal of 3 to 5 pounds per week.
20. As one finds his or her weight loss slowing during a weight control program, the best practice is to
increase physical activity.
21. Which of the following is an important aspect of behavior modification used for weight control?
Recording eating behavior to identify situations that contribute to overeating
22. Altering the environment to minimize the stimuli for eating is called
23. An example of cognitive restructuring for weight control is
replacing eating reactions to stress with helpful relaxing alternatives.
24. The best formal weight loss program for the average dieter is
25. The best way to treat an underweight person is to advise him or her to
eat calorie_dense foods higher in vegetable fat like nuts and seeds.
26. Which of the following is not characteristic of a fad diet?
It uses scientific evidence, presenting pros and cons.
27. The body’s set point has been suggested to be
a weight to which the body closely regulates.
28. Which of the following is true about use of diet pills for weight reduction?
Diet pills do not lead to long_term changes in weight and tend to have side effects.
29. When individuals lose weight quickly, most of the weight lost is from
water, glycogen, and muscle tissue.
30. Changing one’s frame of mind related to weight control and nutrition is called
Need essay sample on "chapter7"? We will write a custom essay sample specifically for you for only $ 13.90/page