What is the “spoiled identity”? Who came up with it?
-the reaction of others spoils the normal identity
What is stigma management?
-the response to this reaction
– it is the various methods or techniques that people use to cope with a discredited/discreditable identity
What are the 3 techniques of managing bankruptcy stigma?
3. Deviance avowal: they are found out/discredited, must turn to avowal techniques
What are the 2 types of deviance avowal?
1. Distancing- distancing themselves from the stereotype, their situation is somehow different
2. Transcendence: “rising above” promising to be better in the future
What is the glass elevator?
-men rising quickly through the ranks above women who dominate the field
Male cheer leading: 2 aspects of the stigma?
1. Feminine sport
Men Who Cheer: 3 Face saving strategies?
1. territoriality: men claim cheerleading is a male sport
2. hypermasculinity: toughness and agression, strength, manual labor, competitiveness, physical exertion
3. Sexual objectification of women: prove they are hetero
What are the 3 organizational frameworks of collective stigma management?
1. Rationality: managing shame and developing a rational plan (weight watchers) problem is internal
2. Redemption: problem viewed as beyong them, submit to a higher power, problem is external (Over eaters anonymous)
3. Activism: reject societal views outright, try to change their stigma (NAAFA)
What does NAAFA stand for? When was it founded?
National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance 1969
study homeless pets
study homeless pets page
Need essay sample on "DEVIANCE 2: STIGMA MANAGEMENT"? We will write a custom essay sample specifically for you for only $ 13.90/page