T/F: 1. An example of a “hidden” production function is money transfers at banks.
T/F 2. Productivity is more difficult to improve in the service sector.
Which is NOT true regarding differences between goods and services?
Goods tend to have higher customer interaction than services.
T/F 4. Low-cost leadership is the ability to distinguish the offerings of the organization in any way that the customer perceives as adding value.
T/F 5. Southwest Airlines’ core competence is operations.
6. Which of the following represent reasons for globalizing operations?
to improve operations, to attract and retain global talent, to expand a product’s life cycle, to gain improvements in the supply chain….SO ALL OF THE ABOVE
7. Which of the following statements best characterizes delivery reliability?
a company that always delivers at the promised time
8. Which of the following will more likely locate near their customers?
a medical clinic
T/F 1. Work Breakdown Structure is a useful tool in project management because it addressed the timing of individual work elements.
2. The project organization works best when which of the following conditions are satisfied?
I. Work can be defined with a specific goal and deadline
II. The job is typical and familiar to the existing organization
III. The work contains interrelated tasks requiring special skills.
IV. The project is temporary but unimportant to long-term organizational success
V. The project cuts across organizational lines.
3. In a PERT network, non-critical activities that have little slack need to be monitored closely
because near-critical paths could become critical paths with small delays in these activities
4. An activity on a PERT network has these time estimates: optimistic=2, most likely3, and pessimistic=8. Its expected time and variance (if it is a critical activity) are:
5. In trend projection, a negative slope is mathematically impossible.
6. Which of the following uses three types of participants: decision makers, staff personnel, and respondents?
the Delphi Method
7. Which of the following techniques uses variables such as price and promotional expenditures, which are related to product demand, to predict demand?
8. If two variables were perfectly correlated, the correlation coefficient r would equal
-1 or 1
9. When should product strategy focus on forecasting capacity requirements?
at the growth stage of the product life cycle
Quality function deployment (QFD)
Is used to determine where to deploy quality efforts, determines what will satisfy the customer, translates customer desires into the target design, is used in the early design process….SO ALL OF THE ABOVE
11. The use of product development teams in design and engineering activities is also known as
12. Which service design technique(s) would ordinarily NOT be appropriate for full-service restaurant meals?
reducing customer interaction
By their very nature, projects have a limited lifetime, and that sets project management apart from the management of more traditional activities.
14. The phases of project management are:
planning, scheduling, and controlling
15. Activity R on a CPM network has predecessors M and N, and has successor S. R has duration 5. N’s late finish is 18, while M’s is 20. S’s late start is 14. Which of the following is definitely true?
the set of given times cannot all be possible
16. Which of the following statements regarding CPM is true?
the critical path is the set of activities that has positive slack, all activities on the critical path have their LS equal to the maximum LS of all immediate predecessors, the critical path is the shortest of all paths through the network…..ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE FALSE
One advantage of exponential smoothing is the limited amount of record keeping involved.
18. Forecasts used for new product planning, capital expenditures, facility location or expansion, and R&D typically utilize a:
long-range time horizon
19. Increasing the number of periods in a moving average will accomplish greater smoothing, but at the expense of:
responsiveness to changes
20. A product’s life cycle is divided into 4 stages, which are:
introduction, growth, maturity, and decline.
21. A graphic technique for defining the relationship between customer desires and product/service is:
the House of Quality.
22. One result of concurrent engineering in product design is:
speedier product development.
23. Which of the following is NOT one of the three phases of project management?
controlling, planning, scheduling….ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE PHASES
24. The main difference between PERT and CPM is that:
CPM assumes activity durations can vary, PERT ignores activity costs, PERT is more accurate than CPM, PERT assumes that activity duration are known…..NONE OF THE ABOVE ARE TRUE
Increasing the number of periods in a moving average will accomplish greater smoothing, but at the expense of:
responsiveness to changes
26. The primary purpose of the mean absolute deviation (MAD) in forecasting is to:
measure forecast accuracy
The change in cell-phone model life cycles from 2 years to under 6 months is a result of:
time based competition
27. Slack is the amount of time an activity can be delayed without delaying the entire project.
28. Shortening the project’s duration by deleting unnecessary activities is called “project crashing?”
29. Which of the following statements concerning CPM activities is FALSE?
The late finish of an activity is the earliest start of all preceding activities
30. A project manager is interested in crashing a project with variable activity times. Which of the following tools should he/she employ?
31. One use of short-range forecasts is to determine:
32. Which of the following statements comparing the weighted moving average technique and exponential smoothing is true
Exponential smoothing typically requires less record keeping of past data
33. The last four weekly values of sales were 80, 100, 105, and 90 units. The last four forecasts were 60, 80, 95, and 75 units. These forecasts illustrate:
34. One result of concurrent engineering in product design is:
speedier product development
35. Which of the following typically shows the components, their description, and the quality of each required to make one unit of a product?
a bill of material
36. All organizations, including service firms such as banks and hospitals, have a production function.
37. Customer interaction is often high for manufacturing processes, but low for services.
38. The Ten Critical Decisions of Operations Management include:
process and capacity design
39. Low-cost leadership is the ability to distinguish the offerings of the organization in any way that the customer perceives as adding value.
40. Decisions that involve what is to be made and what is to be purchased fall under the heading of supply-chain management.
41. According to the authors, which of the following strategic concepts allow firms to achieve their missions?
differentiation, cost leadership, and quick responses
42. Which of the following has progressed the furthest along its product life cycle?
43. Cost minimization is an appropriate strategy in which stage of the product life cycle?
44. “How much inventory of this item should we have?” is within the critical decision area of managing quality?
45. Which of the following would NOT be an operations function in a commercial bank?
46. Which is NOT true regarding differences between goods and services?
Goods tend to have higher customer interaction than services
47. Which of the following is NOT a typical service attribute?
easy to share
48. Boeing’s development of the 787 Dreamliner is an example of a company obtaining a competitive advantage through product differentiation/innovation.
49. Which of the following is true about business strategies?
Well defined missions make strategy development much easier
50. Value-chain analysis can be used to determine if a business is adding unique value in which of the following areas?
product research, quality management, human resources, process innovation…SO ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE TRUE
51. Operations management is the set of activities that creates value in the form of goods and services by transforming inputs into outputs.
52. Which of the following is NOT one of the Ten Critical Decisions of Operations Management?
determining the financial leverage position
53. Which of the following is the best example of a pure service?
54. Production processes are being dispersed to take advantage of national differences in labor costs
55. Examples of response to the global environment include:
Ford’s partnerships with Volvo and Mazda, a Chinese manufacturer, Haier, opening planning in the US, Boeing’s worldwide sales and production, Benneton’s flexibility in design, production, and distribution….ALL OF THE ABOVE
56. Cost cutting in international operations can take place because of
lower indirect costs, lower taxes and tariffs, lower wages, less stringent restrictions….ALL OF THE ABOVE
57. Which of the following is the best example of competing on low-cost leadership?
a firm produces its product with less raw material waste than its competitors
58. Which of the following tasks within an Airline Company are related to Operations?
59. One reason to globalize is to learn to improve operations.
60. Which of these organizations is likely to have the most important inventory decisions?
an aluminum manufacturer
61. An operations task performed at the Hard Rock Café is:
preparing employee schedules
62. Which of the following is not an element of the management process?
63. New trends in operations management include:
rapid product development, global focus, empowered employees, mass customization….ALL OF THE ABOVE
64. The commonly used productivity variables are:
labor, capital, and management
65. NAFTA seeks to:
phase out all trade and tariff barriers between the US, Canada, and Mexico
66. The ability of an organization to produce goods and services that have some uniqueness in their characteristics is:
competing on differentiation
67. Given the position of the iPod in the growth stage of its cycle, which of the following OM Strategy/Issues should the makers of iPods be least concerned with at the current time?
68. When developing the operations strategy for a new manufacturing organization, one of the most important considerations is that it:
supports the overall competitive strategy of the company
69. One responsibility of a project manager is to make sure that the project meets its quality goals?
70. PERT, but not CPM, has the ability to consider the precedence relationships in a project?
71. The standard deviation of a project duration is the average of the standard deviation of all activities on the critical path.
72. Which of the following statements regarding project management is FALSE?
a project organization works well when he work contains simple, independent tasks
73. Which of the following statements regarding critical paths is true?
on a specific project, there can be multiple critical paths, all with exactly the same duration
74. Seasonal indices adjust raw data for patterns that repeat at regular time intervals
75. Gradual movement in time-series data over time is called
76. Which is NOT a characteristic of exponential smoothing?
weights each historical value equally
77. Operations management must be able to anticipate changes in which of the following?
the products themselves, product volume, product opportunities, product mix….SO ALL OF THE ABOVE
78. Bridget’s Hamburger Stand uses only 7 ingredients but offers 15 different burgers. This process is known as:
79. Modern ATM machines are an automated example of a service design that:
reduces customer interaction
80. Operations management is applicable:
to all firms, whether manufacturing or service
81. Gantt charts give a timeline for each of a project’s activities, but they do not adequately illustrate the interrelationships between the activities and the resources.
82. Every network has at least one critical path.
83. The standard deviation of a project duration is the average of the standard deviation of all activities on the critical path.
84. Which of the following statements regarding project management is FALSE?
A project organization works well when the work contains simple, independent tasks
85. Which of the following statements regarding CPM is true?
the critical path is the shortest of all the paths through the network, some networks have no critical path, all activities on the critical path have their LS equal to the maximum LS of all immediate predecessors, the critical path is that set of activities that has positive slack….ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE TRUE
86. Seasonal indices adjust raw data for patterns that repeat at regular time intervals.
87. The two general approaches to forecasting are:
qualitative and quantitative
88. The tracking signal is the:
ratio of cumulative error/MAD
89. In which stage of the product life cycle should product strategy focus on process modifications as he product is being “fine-tuned” for the market?
90. In which stage of the product life cycle should product strategy focus on improved cost control?
91. The Ten Critical Decisions of Operations Management include:
managing quality, maintenance, layout strategy, process and capacity design…ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE TRUE
92. New trends in operations management include:
empowered employees, mass customization, global focus, rapid product development….ALL OF THE ABOVE
93. The total of all outputs produced by the transformation process divided by the total of the inputs is:
94. Which of the following is true of maquiladoras?
the assess tariffs only on the value-added work done
95. Which of the following is LEAST likely to be a Cost Leadership competitive advantage?
broad product line
96. Which of the following OM Strategy/Issues should a firm with a product in the maturity stage of its life cycle be least concerned with at the present time?
97. When developing the operations strategy for a new manufacturing organization, one of the most important considerations is that it:
supports the overall competitive strategy of the company
98. Which of the following are part of the Ten Critical Decisions of Operations Management?
I. Design of goods and services
II. Managing quality
III. Layout Strategy
V. Pricing of Goods and Services
99. Most services are tangible; this factor determines how the ten decisions of operations management are handled differently for goods and services.
100. Which of the following is true?
functional strategies are shaped by corporate strategies
101. A firm producing a good is more likely to have which set of the following characteristics compared to a firm providing a service?
many objective quality standards, tangible product, and locate away from customers
102. The critical path can be determined by use of either the “forward pass” or the “backward pass.”
102. The critical path can be determined by use of either the “forward pass” or the “backward pass.”
Work Breakdown Structure
104. Which of the following statements regarding time-cost tradeoffs in CPM networks is FALSE?
Crashing sometimes has the reverse result of lengthening the project duration
105. For a given product demand, the time series equation is 53-4X. The negative sign on the slope of the equation:
is an indication that product demand is declining
106. Operations managers must be able to anticipate changes in which of the following?
product volume, product mix, product opportunities, the products themselves….ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE TRUE
107. The product tool that helps determine what products to develop, and by what strategy, by listing products in descending order over their individual dollar contribution to the firm is:
108. Which of the following shows in schematic form how a product is assembled?
an assembly chart
109. Gantt charts give a timeline for each of a product’s activities, but they do not adequately illustrate the interrelationships between the activities and the resources.
110. A project organization that becomes permanent is often referred to as a :
111. Cycles and random variations are both components of time series.
112. Payoffs, alternatives, and expected monetary values are terms associated with:
113. In project management, crashing an activity must consider the impact on all paths in the network.
114. Which of the following statements regarding CPM networks is true?
if a specific project has multiple critical paths, all of them will have the same duration
115. In time series, which of the following cannot be predicted?
116. Which time-series model uses past forecasts and past demand data to generate a new forecast?
117. Which of the following is NOT a service design technique used to reduce cost?
increasing customer interaction
Competing on quick response
a firms products are introduced into the market faster than its competitors products
All of the following decisions fall within the scope of operations management EXCEPT for:
-creating the company income statement
Which of the following attributes is most typical of a service?
-production and consumption occur simultaneously
Which of the following are the primary functions of all organizations?
-marketing, production/operations, and finance/accounting
The shortest of all paths through the network is the critical path.
The larger the number of periods in the simple moving average forecasting method, the greater the method’s responsiveness to change in demand.
A forecast based on the previous forecast plus a percentage of the forecast error is a(n):
-exponential smoothing forecast
Current challenges in operations management include all of the following EXCEPT:
-just in time performance, empowered employees, rapid product development, and mass customization are all current challenges
Productivity can be improved by :
-decreasing inputs while holding outputs steady
Which of the following is NOT a strategic operations management decision?
Which of the following statements regarding Gantt charts is true?
-Gantt charts are visual devices that show the duration of activities in a project.
A six-month moving average forecast is generally better than a three-month moving average forecast if demand:
-is rather stable
Need essay sample on "ISDS 3115 Test 1"? We will write a custom essay sample specifically for you for only $ 13.90/page