Marketing strategy of KFC
KFC Corporation (KFC), established and furthermore known as Kentucky Fried Chicken, is a chain of cheap food eateries situated in Louisville, Kentucky, in the United States. KFC has been a brand and working section, named a concept of Yum! Brands since 1997 when that organization was spun off from PepsiCo as Tricon Global Restaurants Inc. (Bartlett & Rangan, 1992)
KFC essentially moves chicken pieces, wraps, plates of mixed greens and sandwiches. While its essential center is seared chicken, KFC additionally offers a line of flame broiled and simmered chicken items, side dishes and pastries. Outside North America, KFC offers meat based items, for example, ground sirloin sandwiches or kebabs, pork based items, for example, ribs and other territorial passage. The organization was established as Kentucky Fried Chicken by Colonel Harland Sanders in 1952, however the possibility of KFC’s broiled chicken really returns to 1930.
In spite of the fact that Sanders kicked the bucket in 1980, he remains an imperative piece of the organization’s marking and ads, and “Colonel Sanders” or “The Colonel” is a metonym for the organization itself. The organization received KFC, a contracted type of its name, in 1991. Starting in April 2007, the organization started utilizing its unique name, Kentucky Fried Chicken, for its signage, bundling and notices in the U.S. as a component of another corporate re-marking program; more up to date and rebuilt eateries will have the new logo and name while more established stores will keep on utilizing the 1980s signage. Also, Yum, keeps on utilizing the condensed name openly in its advertising. In 1939, Colonel Harland Sanders previously gave the world an essence of his most acclaimed creation, Original Recipe? Kentucky Fried Chicken, including that mystery mix of 11 herbs. In 1952, he joined his first franchisee and consequently started the legend that is KFC, the biggest chicken drive-thru food domain on the planet. A great many individuals have come to adore his stand-out chicken, home-style side dishes and hot and crisp bread rolls. (Enz, 2005)
Today, in excess of a billion of the Colonel’s “finger lickin’ great” chicken meals are served yearly. What’s more, not simply in North America? The Colonel’s cooking is accessible in excess of 80 nations and domains around the globe. What’s more, with Yum! Brands, you can convey one to YOUR city. KFC is only one brand possessed by Yum! Brands, Inc. Yum! Brands additionally possesses A&W All-American Food Restaurants, Long John Silvers, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell eateries, and is the world’s biggest eatery organization as far as framework units with almost 32,500 in excess of 100
In Pakistan Kapola (Pak) ltd. is the franchisee of KFC. First KFC branch in Pakistan is in Karachi Gulshan. Our project covers all the marketing strategies used by KFC regarding to price, product, promotion, positioning, market and public relation and finally we analyze the consumer perception about KFC. Major competitor of KFC in Pakistan is McDonalds other competitors include Pizza Hut, Café Zouk, Salt’ n Paper and cooper and Kettle. Market strategies deal with the perspective of market to be served. KFC has first in entry strategy regarding market entry strategy, multi market strategy regarding to market scope strategy, international market strategy regarding to market geographic strategy. (Harris, et al., 2010)
Although more than 50% of its sales come from Developed nations but those markets have stagnant growth rate and developing nations like India, China and many others have big potential for KFC. The market is still growing but fast food chains have low acceptance in developed markets. Developed nations are becoming more health conscious, it’s only developing nations which will share the market dynamics. (Pekar Jr., 1982)
4 P’s (Marketing Mix)
The Marketing blend is an arrangement of four choices which should be taken before propelling any new item. These factors are otherwise called the 4 P’s of advertising. These four factors help the firm in settling on key choices vital for the smooth running of any item/association. (Cravens & Piercy, 2006)
Product – What the organization is producing?
Price – What is the evaluating system utilized by the organization?
Place – Where is the organization moving?
Promotions – How is the organization advancing the item?
What are the two types of marketing mix?
1) Product marketing mix – Comprised of Product, price, place and promotions. This marketing mix is mainly used in case of Tangible goods.
2) Service marketing mix – The service marketing mix has three further variables included which are people, physical evidence and process. They are discussed in detail in the article on service marketing mix.
Product in the Marketing mix
KFC is one of the universes most prevalent junk food joint, having an incredible strength in burgers. KFC is synonymous with seared chicken and it tested the built up junk food market of ground sirloin sandwiches. The first item is weight seared chicken tenders enhanced with mystery flavoring of 11 fixings. Different claims to fame of KFC are Extra Crispy Chicken, home style sides and buttermilk scones. In 1990, KFC extended its menu and offered other chicken arrangements like Chicken Filet Burgers and wraps, plates of mixed greens, potato fries, sweets and drinks.
Pricing in the Marketing mix
The menu at KFC is offered at reasonable costs and they have embraced creative procedures to contend in various markets. In 2013, offer of KFC had come to $23 billion. The parent brand of KFC is on 201st position of Fortunes posting with income of over 13$ billion. The objective section for KFC is groups of youngsters in urban and semi urban area having a place with upper white collar class or working class. At the point when nit entered the market, the costs were higher which were step by step lessened later on to target bring down salary gathering. The cost is likewise similar to the contenders. KFC offers differential evaluating. The items are accessible as individual and in addition packs or combos. The valuing of groups is less when contrasted with joined cost of the considerable number of items. It is particularly worthwhile in value delicate markets like India.
Place in the Marketing mix
The author of KFC distinguished the significance of diversifying and set up first KFC eatery in Utah in 1952. Later on, the global outlets were opened in Canada, UK, Mexico and Jamaica in 1960s. The Headquarters of KFC is situated in Louisville, Kentucky. Today KFC is available in 125 nations worldwide with more than 20,500 outlets, which demonstrates its solid place procedure in its showcasing blend. It was the main Western Restaurant to open in China in 1987 and it is as yet going solid there. Normal every day normal requests cooked by an outlet are 250, out of which many are satisfied amid pinnacle hours.
Promotion in the Marketing mix
KFC has a site and additionally nearness in interpersonal interaction sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. It likewise has relied upon broad communications for advancement. The KFC notices show up in print and additionally communicated media. Print media incorporate papers, magazines including enticing presentation of KFC contributions, exceptional offers and costs. It likewise utilizes announcements and hoardings on inside city streets and parkways for commercials. It is renowned for its slogans like ‘Finger Lickin Good’, ‘No one Does Chicken like KFC’ and ‘So Good’ and these are constantly incorporated into the limited time exercises.
KFC is known to be a favorite of meat and chicken lovers, and this segmentation is the main success factor of KFC. However, due to its franchise business model, the firm faces a lot of competition from other franchises like McDonalds and Burger kind. Besides burgers, indirect competition in the form of Italian and fast food is ever present. Some of these competitors are Pizza hut and Domino’s. Let us have an internal analysis of KFC to know what strategic initiatives can be taken by the company. (Omer, 2018)
1. Global Presence: KFC is the world’s 2nd largest restaurant chain with more than 18,000 KFC outlets in 120 countries and territories around the world. It is market leader in Non-veg food joints categories in majority of countries it is in.
2. Strong parent company: It is the subsidiary of Yum! Brands, a restaurant company that also owns the Pizza Hut and Taco Bell . Yum! Brands, the fortune 500 company, is one of the world’s largest fast food restaurant companies in terms of system units—more than 41,000 restaurants around the world in over 125 countries & it help individual brands in optimizing its resource usage.
3. Veg & Non veg offerings: Although KFC is known for its finger licking Chickens menu but recently they ventured out in Vegetarian category which is helping them in increasing their business & attracting both veg & non-veg preferred customers.
4. Secret Recipe: Sanders’ Original Recipe of “11 herbs and spices” is one of the most famous trade secrets in the catering industry. A copy of the recipe, signed by Sanders, is held inside a safe inside a vault in KFC’s Louisville headquarters, along with eleven vials containing the herbs and spices.
1. Unhealthy fats: Use of unhealthy fats & unhygienic calories is creating problem for the fast food chains to which KFC is not an exception.
2. Managing franchisees: Franchisee management is one of the critical issues in the success of the fast food chains and due to conflicting operational issues between KFC and its franchisees many of its outlets got closed since its inception.
1. Market expansion: Emerging economies and their changing lifestyle resulting into more of outings with family/friends, corporate parties will result in the high growth of the industry. Furthermore, the presence and popularity of McDonalds is anytime more daunting for KFC.
2. Specializing into vegetarian Menu: Although KFC recently entered in vegetarian fast food category but they have limited menu items as compared to other chains like subway, Pizza-hut, Mac Donald’s, who are already an established player in the segment. So specializing into Veg. items like they have in Non-Veg will help the company in its overall global growth.
3. Rise in health conscious population: Designing its menu for the health conscious population will be the driving force for the whole industry in the future because due to changing lifestyle people are getting less time for themselves due to which health issues are raising.
4. Penetration: Strengthening its outlet network by further penetrating the current market will help KFC in increasing its revenues & become no.1 player in fast food chain market given that now they have presence in both Veg. & Non-Veg. menu in the selected market.
1. Competition: KFC is not a leader in the fast food chain industry so it has to compete with all other well established fast food companies who all are flourishing in the market.
2. Changing Consumer Eating habits: With government & NGO’s health awareness campaigns people are becoming more aware of what to consume & what to not which is affecting the business of fast food Industry as a whole.
3. Raw Material prices: Rise in the raw material prices may affect the industry, of which KFC business is not an exception.
4. Closure of current Franchisees: Rise in channel conflict resulting into closing of the franchisees is affecting its brand image & resulting into negative word of mouth.
The competitive environment for KFC relates to five different factors, competitors, threat of entrants, suppliers, customers and substitutes. KFC has to face many currently strong competitors, as well as new rivals. However, KFC lacks of its products differentiation. Some actions can help KFC in order to achieve good management through process of planning, organizing, leading and controlling. In conclusion, KFC is invited a really potential market especially in developing countries, they should develop their advantages as well as limit the disadvantages as much as possible to satisfy customers.
In order to gain more customers satisfaction, KFC can do some renovation. First, KFC should make differentiated products to compete with its rivals. For example, create menu contains vegetarian food besides normal menu. Additionally, provides food in a variety of food sources like pork, lamb and so on. Secondly, KFC can give customer reward points for purchasing KFC’s products to get customer loyalty.
Furthermore, birthday cards or small gift in customer’s birthday can build a better relationship. KFC can increase its sale volume and advertise its brand wisely by running corporate discounts with its complements such as Pepsi, and Nestle.
Last but no least KFC needs to care more about their customers by gathering customer’s information. Therefore, it is easier to collect their feedback as well as do customer loyalty programs. All of the things mentioned above need a strong finance to support, however, its benefit definitely outweigh its cost.
Kentucky Fried Chicken provides the fast-food service. To achieve their goals they make a political system that can guide them or they called as a guide service. This political system could change their business strategy and make the progress to their company. For example, they have employee that run the activity in the restaurant. They make a contract with the employee and make a pension fee. They also provide the alternative in buying KFC. KFC Hospice Dinners that delivering a caring outreach to the terminally ill. The Hospice delivers meals to the terminally ill nationwide. These meals are delivered directly to the patient in their own house. We always called that a delivery orders. The customers feel better when they enjoyed this system. KFC Cafeterias which offering dishes competitors. And KFC Grocery Products which The Cornel is always home. (Ibrahim, n.d.)
If we talked about the economy aspect, we talked about the fund or money. Kentucky Fried Chicken provides the lower price. They have a food packet; just like we buy the packet we can get the discount or something that support us to buy there again. In this economic analysis we find the benefit of economical that changes the strategy of international business of Kentucky Fried Chicken. They can grow up with the lower price and the satisfying service.
Kentucky Fried Chicken is one of the International Company which has begun their company early and nowadays they are one of the biggest companies in the world. Why the KFC can be the biggest company. Kentucky Fried Chicken built they social connection with others organization or the company around the world. Beside that in their restaurant, they also provide the food that the tasted is related with the tasted in the country they took the place to build the restaurant. In addition about the employee, they are worked the people from the country which are have a good performance and have a talent in cooking for the chef. KFC also supported the many of events, they help the committee by sponsored the event. Sometimes they give the donation to the poor people. With this social activity they company will be known.
In this analysis, Kentucky Fried Chicken can go out of their home country. They use the modernization technology to advertise their product. They make a website of KFC so easily we just search in internet what do we want about KFC and so many information about KFC. There are also many transactions that do by internet and the KFC just delivered the order to the customer address. In our country they have the phone number that can contact if we want to order some food. Sometimes the customer lazy to go out to buy some food, this is the reason they make an order delivered.
Environment is the one of the important analysis that must be had by the company. Without environment they can’t run their transaction because the environments are their customer and they get profit from the product that has been bought. Many people like Kentucky Fried Chicken Company because they are not like the industrial company. KFC Company does not disturb the public activity by make a noisy. They just invite the environment to come to the restaurant to enjoy their food.
Kentucky Fried Chicken is the legal company. They growth under the Yum! Brands. They gather with Pizza Hut and Mc. Donald’s that they are the food company. This legal analysis guides them to go overseas because the companies which want to going international business are the legal company. They also can hold their recipe because it has been legality so no one can steal it. In other hands, the employee also protect from the stealing cooking recipes. Kentucky Fried Chicken Company can growth bigger and bigger. They are legal so every activity is done in legal system.
Customer of KFC are the people from different age group, all who want to satisfy their taste buds with the finger licking delicious chicken menu. Most of the customers can be defined as youngsters or young adults who can shell out a minimum amount of money to have a delicious meal.
Need essay sample on "Marketing strategy of KFC"? We will write a custom essay sample specifically for you for only $ 13.90/page
KFC is facing strong competition from McDonalds, kokoriko, kyochan and many other local & national fast food companies. Also the local fast food joints are giving head on competition to KFC in the developing nations. In developed nations the different fast food outlets are eating up each other’s market share.
One of the major competitors of KFC is McDonalds and Subway. Both of them are in the burger category and where McDonalds offers burgers, Subway offers sandwiches. Subway is yet to reach its complete distribution potential but KFC and McDonalds are constantly at loggerheads with their vast global presence.