1) Howie is a business analyst who is given access to the database of a product prior to its launch. He needs to understand the data presented and take appropriate action. Which of the following is Howie most likely to do?
A) send the database back to the source to interpret the data
B) use the data present in the database in its raw format
C) encrypt the data to secure the product’s authenticity
D) use SQL or graphical tools to query the database
2) Which of the following is an international standard language for querying databases?
D) Visual Basic
3) The purpose of a database is to ________.
A) test and troubleshoot newly installed software
B) design the source code for computer programs
C) describe and build computer architectures
D) store lists of data involving multiple themes
4) Google is a database that is used by Facebook and Twitter.
5) Databases are static and it is only the information systems that change.
6) Databases are required to keep track of lists with multiple themes.
8) A ________ is a self-describing collection of integrated records.
9) Which of the following best describes a byte in a database?
A) It is a character of data.
B) It is a group of rows.
C) It is a collection of data.
D) It is a group of columns.
10) In a database, bytes are grouped into ________.
11) In a database, columns are also called ________.
12) In a database, rows are also called ________.
13) In a database, a group of similar rows is called a ________.
14) In a database, a table is also called a ________.
15) In a database, a column or group of columns that identifies a unique row in a table is known as a ________.
16) In a database, columns that are keys of a different table than the one in which they reside are known as ________ keys.
17) Databases that carry their data in the form of tables and represent relationships using foreign keys are called ________ databases.
18) In a database, a table is formally referred to as a ________.
19) Which of the following best describes the metadata in a database?
A) programs used to create, process, and administer a database
B) special data that describes the structure of a database
C) data that is stored in a Web site
D) special data that is unique to a specific user
20) Bytes are grouped into rows in a database.
21) In a database, columns are also called records.
22) In a database, the collection of data for all columns is called a file.
23) In a database, a key is a column or group of columns that identifies a unique row in a table.
24) Databases that carry their data in the form of tables and that represent relationships using foreign keys are called discrete databases.
25) The format of the metadata in a database depends on the software product that is processing the database.
26) To find out what a database contains, one can look at the metadata inside the database.
30) A(n) ________ is a program that is used to create, process, and administer a collection of self-describing integrated records.
A) decision support system (DSS)
B) knowledge management system (KMS)
C) database management system (DBMS)
D) enterprise planning system (EPS)
31) Which of the following is a database management system (DBMS) product from Microsoft?
B) SQL Server
D) Sybase ASE
32) ________ is a popular enterprise database management system (DBMS) product from IBM.
C) SQL Server
33) Access and SQL Server are popular ________ DBMS products.
A) open source
C) Oracle Corporation
34) Which of the following is a function of the database management system (DBMS)?
A) implementing lean systems in workstations
B) eliminating bottlenecks in business processes
C) automating workflows in the databases of companies
D) processing a database by inserting or modifying data
35) The database management system (DBMS) provides applications for processing operations such as ________.
A) sending and receiving emails
B) generating software codes
C) inserting or deleting information
D) automating business processes
36) SQL stands for ________.
A) Standard Query Language
B) Secondary Query Language
C) Structured Query Language
D) Simplified Query Language
37) One of the important functions of a database management system (DBMS) is to provide the necessary tools for ________.
A) encrypting emails
B) encapsulating data objects
C) administering the database
D) testing program codes
38) Which of the following is considered an administrative function of the database management system (DBMS)?
A) adding structures to improve the performance of database applications
B) testing program codes in the system for errors
C) creating tables, relationships, and other structures in databases
D) using international standard languages for processing database applications
39) Monitoring the performance of a database after providing solutions for improving its performance is an activity of the DBMS pertaining to ________.
40) Conducting training to ensure that users and operations personnel know and understand recovery procedures is a task associated with the DBMS ________.
41) Most organizations develop their own database management systems.
42) DB2 is a popular database management system product that is licensed from Microsoft.
43) A database management system is also referred to as a database.
44) HyperText Markup Language is an international standard language for processing a database.
45) Structured query language statements can be issued directly to the database management system (DBMS) by an application program.
46) The database management system (DBMS) can be used to set up a security system involving user accounts, passwords, permissions, and limits for processing the database.
47) Database management system (DBMS) administrative functions include adding structures to improve the performance of database applications.
48) The administrative functions of a database management system (DBMS) include backing up database data.
53) A ________ is a collection of forms, reports, queries, and programs that serves as an intermediary between users and database data.
A) database application
B) metadata table
C) database hierarchy
D) dimension table
54) Which of the following elements of a database application helps in the insertion of new data and the deletion of existing data?
B) application programs
55) Which of the following elements of a database application presents data in a structured manner using sorting, grouping, filtering, and other operations?
D) application programs
56) Which of the following elements of a database application provides security, data consistency, and special-purpose processing?
A) query applications
B) application programs
57) Traditional database application programs are written in object-oriented languages like ________.
B) Visual Basic
58) Which of the following is true of browser-based database applications?
A) They are written in object-oriented languages such as Structured Query Language.
B) The application, database management system (DBMS), and the database reside on the user’s computer.
C) They are displayed and processed using html, html5, or css3.
D) They use C++ as the standard language for user-side processing.
59) Browser-based database applications differ from traditional applications in that they ________.
A) have no security requirements
B) are used only by corporates
C) are usually open to the public
D) fail to support graphical queries
60) Which of the following is a major drawback of multi-user processing of a database?
A) lack of data integrity
B) software redundancy
C) lost-update problem
D) limited access to data
61) A database application serves as an intermediary between users and database data.
62) Queries in database applications present data in a structured manner using operations such as sorting, grouping, and filtering.
63) Reports in database applications provide security, data consistency, and special-purpose processing.
64) All traditional databases require the Internet to transmit traffic between a user’s computer and a database management system (DBMS) server computer.
65) In single-user databases, the application, the database management system (DBMS), and the database all reside on a user’s computer.
66) Traditional database application programs are written in object-oriented languages such as C++.
67) Browser database application forms, reports, and queries are displayed and processed using HyperText Markup Language (HTML).
68) Browser applications are thin-client applications that need not be preinstalled on the users’ computers.
69) Security requirements are more stringent for traditional applications than for browser-based ones.
70) The lost-update problem caused by multi-user processing in databases can be prevented by avoiding all types of database locking.
72) Which of the following is an open source document-oriented NoSQL DBMS product?
C) SQL Server
73) Which of the following is a drawback of the relational database processing model?
A) It utilized an extensive amount of storage space.
B) It required powerful processors to function.
C) It was never a natural fit with business documents.
D) It did not enable document piece-making via normalization.
74) Which of the following is true of the relational database processing model?
A) It supports very high transaction rates.
B) It can efficiently store files with large collections of bits.
C) It helps organizations store new data types such as images, audio, and videos.
D) It represents relationships with the help of foreign keys.
75) One of the reasons for the appearance of new styles of nonrelational database processing is the need for ________.
A) storing data types such as images, audio, and videos in organizations
B) gaining faster performance by limiting the number of servers used
C) breaking up sales orders via normalization
D) limiting the use of open-source document-oriented DBMS
76) Which of the following is a nonrelational data store developed by Amazon.com?
77) ________ refers to software products that support very high transaction rates, processing relatively simple data structures, replicated on many servers in the cloud.
A) NoSQL DBMS
B) MySQL DBMS
C) Traditional DBMS
D) Relational DBMS
78) The conversion of the existing traditional databases in organizations to NoSQL databases is ________.
A) highly efficient and is being practiced by many organizations
B) highly recommended because it is user friendly
C) very cost-effective but can be enormously disruptive
D) unnecessary when relational databases meet the needs of organizations
79) NoSQL database management system products are very technical and can be used only by those with a deep background in computer science.
1) Which of the following is true of a data model?
A) It is created after the database is designed.
B) It is an attribute whose value is associated with only one entity instance.
C) It is a logical representation of the structure of the data.
D) It does not describe the relationships among the data.
2) Once the users have validated and approved the data model, it is transformed into a ________.
A) database design
B) technical report
C) knowledge system
D) data repository
3) A data model is a logical representation of the structure of the data.
4) A data model does not depict the relationships among the data.
5) A database contains a description of both the data and the relationships among the data.
7) Which of the following is a highly popular technique for creating a data model with which the developers describe the content of a database by defining what is to be stored in the database and the associations among them?
A) entity-relationship (E-R) data model
B) Unified Modeling Language (UML)
C) object-relational model
D) semantic data model
8) Which of the following is true of entities?
A) Entities have an identifier whose value is associated with every entity in the data model.
B) Entities can only represent a logical construct or transaction, not a physical object.
C) The characteristics of entities are described by attributes.
D) The names of entities are always plural.
9) Carol, an online shopping customer, raises a complaint stating she had placed an order for books two weeks ago but has still not received them. Nigel, in charge of handling complaints for the site, wants to verify Carol’s complaint. He tracks the order number and the order date for Carol’s books. The data that Nigel is tracking are also called ________.
10) Which of the following statements is true of identifiers?
A) They are constraints on minimum requirements in a relationship.
B) They are data that users want to track.
C) They highlight instances of data duplication in a database.
D) They are attributes whose values are associated with only one entity instance.
11) Which of the following is true of an entity-relationship (E-R) diagram?
A) Each entity is shown in separate rectangles.
B) Many-to-many relationships are generally denoted by N:N.
C) A crow’s foot represents a 1:N relationship between two entities.
D) Crow’s foot is a shorthand representation for a single relationship between entities.
12) Roger teaches a Chemistry class at the state university. Each student in the class can only be tutored by Roger; however, he can tutor multiple students. In a data model, this relationship is best represented as a(n) ________.
A) N:M relationship
B) N:N relationship
C) 1:N relationship
D) 1:1 relationship
13) Which of the following notations signifies that an adviser can be related to many students and that a student can be related to many advisers?
14) In an organization, the administrative department consists of one clerk whose sole responsibility is the management of various administrative functions. The notation that accurately indicates this relationship is ________.
15) The angled lines in an entity-relationship (E-R) diagram used as shorthand to represent multiple relationships are referred to as a(n) ________.
A) crow’s foot
D) cardinality line
16) Maximum cardinality in an entity-relationship (E-R) diagram refers to the maximum number of ________.
A) normalizations possible in a diagram
B) entities that can be involved in a relationship
C) identifiers possible in a particular diagram
D) attributes associated with an entity
17) Entities have attributes that describe characteristics of the entity.
18) An identifier is an attribute whose value is associated with every entity in the data model.
19) Entities have relationships to attributes but not to each other.
20) In an entity-relationship (E-R) diagram, a line is used to represent a relationship between two entities.
21) The notation N:N is used to indicate a many-to-many relationship in an E-R diagram.
22) While representing the relationship between two entities in an entity-relationship diagram, the N:N notation is used to indicate that the same number of entities are present on each end of the relationship.
23) 1:N means that more than one entity is allowed on each side of the relationship.
24) The crow’s foot notation shows the minimum number of entities that can be involved in a relationship.
25) The maximum number of entities that can be involved in a relationship is known as maximum cardinality.
26) In an entity-relationship diagram, a vertical bar on the lines indicates that at least one entity of that type is required in the relationship.
29) The process of converting poorly structured tables into two or more well-structured tables is referred to as ________.
30) The data integrity problem can occur only if data are ________.
31) Normalized tables eliminate ________.
A) data dependency
B) data duplication
C) data insufficiency
D) data conversion
32) The general goal of normalization is to ________.
A) create a copy of an existing table
B) establish relationships among the entities in a table
C) convert two or more tables into a single table
D) construct tables such that every table has a single topic
33) According to the kinds of problems they have, database practitioners classify tables into various ________.
A) solved forms
C) normal forms
34) Normalization is a database design concept that helps to construct well-structured tables.
35) The data integrity problem can occur only if data are missing.
36) The general goal of normalization is to construct tables such that every table has a single topic or theme.
37) Tables that are not normalized can have data integrity problems.
38) Database practitioners classify tables into various normal forms according to the kinds of problems they have.
39) To represent an N:M relationship between two entities, two normalized tables are sufficient.
42) The easiest time to change the database structure is ________.
A) during the data modeling stage
B) after constructing the database
C) during the database designing stage
D) after creating database reports
43) The easiest time to change the database structure is after the database has been constructed and loaded with data.
Need essay sample on "MIS 300 Chapter 5"? We will write a custom essay sample specifically for you for only $ 13.90/page