Supply Chain Management Essays
1. What advantages does Dell derive from virtual integration? How important are this advantages in the auto business? 2. What challenges does Ford fact that are not faced by Dell? How should Ford deal with these challenges? 3. If you are Teri Takai, what would you recommend to senior executives? Tow what degree should Ford emulate Dell’s business model?
Herman Miller: Innovation by Design? (Supply Chain Strategy) 1. What are the main elements of Herman Miller’s history, design philospophy, and corporate values? How have they influenced the company’s success? 2. What led Miller SQA to develop a new business model to serve its market? What is this model and how does it work? 3. What allowed Miller SQA to reduce a 6 – 8 week order-to-installation process to an average of 6 days? 4. In what ways is the Miller SQA business model a departure for Herman Miller? Are there ways in which it is consistent with the past? 5. What would you advise Van Spronsen to do about his new assignment? Defend your response.
Baria Planning Solutions, Inc.: Fixing the Sales Process (Process Variability, Process Analytics) Due February 12, 2014 at 2pm
1. What are the organizational and operational issues that underlie
Need essay sample on "Supply Chain Management Essays"? We will write a custom essay sample specifically for you for only $ 13.90/page
Henkel Iberica (Retailer, Pricing, CPFR)
Due February 17, 2014 at 2pm
1. What are the implications of SKU (stock-keeping unit) proliferation for Henkel Iberica’s functional areas, such as manufacturing, logistics, procurement, and marketing? What are the cost and benefits of manufacturing a large variety of SKUs? 2. What does an Everyday Low Price (EDLP) strategy mean? What are the costs and benefits of this strategy? 3. Explain CPFR. Does CPFR mitigate the costs of SKU proliferations? It what sense? 4. What strategy would you recommend to Henkel Iberica: (a) Adopt EDLP and rationalize the number of SKUs or (b) maintain or increase the current level of SKUs, while adopting CPFR?
Due February 19, 2014: Software Review
VSAAM -Visual Supplier Analysis & Assessment Modules (AdvancedCoreTechnologies) The software is supposed to be available on BlackBoard. We need to ask him when he will make it available. We also have to meet with him the Monday before we present so he can tell us how to do the presentation.
Amazon: European Distribution (Distribution, Allocation, Expansion) Due Monday, February 24, 2014
1. Should Amazon Europe build a European Distribution Network (EDN) where the location of the inventory is strategically determined rather than geographically determined? Does Amazon need the three independent DCs in UK, Germany and France? 2. Out of the different possible alternatives to designing the EDN, which alternative should be chosen? Should different sites be linked to a single European distribution center or should Amazon keep the three distribution centers and allow them to fulfill customer orders from other country sites? Should Amazon keep only the two DCs, one serving North European customers and the other serving south European customers? 3. What should be the function of a DC in the EDN? Should all three DCs hold the inventory as they are doing presently or should Amazon selectively share inventory among European sites to reduce inventory holding cost. How should they address the issue of inventory ownership?
Due Wednesday, February 26, 2014: Case Presentation
Modeling and Optimizing the Public Health Infrastructure for Emergency Response In this email I have attached the case for everyone to have. We may have to have a special meeting to make sure we have everything in order.
Exel plc – Supply Chain Management at Haus Mart (Logistics and 3PLs) Due Monday, March 3, 2014
1. How is value added in supply chain management through better planning versus better execution? 2. Why do companies outsource freight management and contract logistics to third-party logistics providers (3PLs)? Why do 3PLs perform these activities better? 3. How would a deep understanding of supply chain execution and stronger capabilities in execution allow companies to make better supply chain planning decisions? Please be specific. For example, how would a better understanding of execution lead to better inventory-management decisions? 4. Should Exel move into joint planning with Haus Mart?
Sport Obermeyer, Ltd. (Sourcing, Forecasting, Production Planning) Due Monday, March 17, 2014
1. Using the sample data given in Exhibit 10, make a recommendation for how many units of each style Wally Obermeyer should order during the initial phase of production. Assume that all ten styles in the sample problem are made in Hong Kong, and that Obermeyer’s Initial production commitment must be at least 10,000 units 2. What operational changes would you recommend to Wally to improve performance? 3. How should Obermeyer management think about sourcing in Hong Kong versus China?
Metalcraft Supplier Scorecard (Supplier Management)
Due Monday, March 24, 2014
1. What is the obstensible purpose of the supplier scorecard at Metalcraft? Is it achieving this goal? 2. What are the strengths and weaknesses of the supplier scorecard at Metalcraft? 3. How are the incentives of the various participants in the procurement process at Metalcraft influencing the use of the scorecard? 4. How would you improve the scorecard at Metalcraft and the
managerial process surrounding its use? Due Monday, March 31, 2014: Simulation
Global Supply Chain Management Simulation
The cost for this is around $40.00. Dr. Cole says we need to plan on purchasing the simulation within the next week.
Due Monday, April 14th and Wednesday, April 16th: Final Presentations He will give us details on this project next class, Wednesday, February 12, 2014. When we get the instructions we need to create a timeline so we can have it completed at least the week before it’s due.